Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Back Pain & BIG Bang BOOM (what?)

Over the weekend I slept in my little girl's bed.  Saturday she couldn't seem to fall asleep so I did my parental duty and said I would lie down with her - temporarily - until she fell asleep.  The reality of that is:  she fell asleep, I fell asleep and we both woke up the next morning in the same bed.  Temporarily meant fifteen minutes and fifteen minutes really must have meant eight hours.

I don't know what it is about young children but they thrash about in their beds and contort themselves into the weirdest sleeping positions.  Perhaps it should be named "sleeping youth yoga" - this child threw her legs at angles that I could not fathom doing asleep or awake.  Her arms became weapons of mass destruction.  Her head was a demolition ball that she would twist around with massive force and pound against my chest.

Yes, I remember this because it would wake me up for a few moments but I would just crash back into slumber. 

Last year that full size bed was the most comfortable in the house.  Her mattress is the newest so of course the support was great.  This year that mattress could be the worst!  My back is in knots and hurting like mad! (Ok maybe it wasn't the mattress but the karate assailant who it belongs to). 

The pain my back is reminiscent of that pregnancy induced back pain.  You remember it --- central back brought on by carrying an eight pound human being in your abdomen and about two pounds of fluid not to mention the boobs that are suddenly basketballs.  Every way I turn I feel a ting of pain 

I decided to go work it out at the YMCA.  Get back on my work out schedule and get the pain out.  I dropped the kid at childcare and made my way out....on the way an angel (named Debbie) appeared and said - "Are you coming to yoga?"

I wasn't planning on going to yoga.  I was planning on tearing myself to shreds in the weight room.  I was planning on being stupid.  I didn't stutter or waffle I said - sure I'll do yoga.

Oh boy am I glad I did.  The pain has subsided a great deal.  I needed those stretches and balance work BIG TIME.

Today, the back pain was still there.  I didn't sleep in my kid's bed but in my own.  I'm realizing something is up with my sleeping position(s) and I have to combat that.  This morning I took on a pilates class.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  It helped me wake up my joints (ouchhhhh) and release some of the tension that was bearing down on my spine.

So the moral of this blog post is:  if you have some back pain brought on by motherhood or fatherhood don't grab the pills or call the chiropractor just yet.  Go take a good stretching exercise and see if that helps.  Don't over do it just take the low road and work your way up.  You can thank me later. 

-----

If you hear of a band called Big Bang Boom playing in your area, don't think twice just go see them.  Wait....if you have kids go - otherwise you'll look a little weird.  Yesterday a friend texted (thx Molly C) to see if we were going to our local library's Monday night program (for kids, summer fun reading).  I hadn't really planned on it but she said there was a Big Band thing going on.  I immediately was taken back to third grade and learning about the music of the 30s/40s.  I thought about it a while and decided - why not - some me and the big kid time.

I am so glad I did.  What I had envisioned when I heard "music at the library" was some middle aged, leftover hippie who suddenly had a huge love for Puff the Magic Dragon in song rather than in hobby.

Boy was I wrong.

Turns out there were two 30 somethings with their bass guitar and electric guitar who took children's music to a parent friendly level.  Their songs were what kids music is made of (animal sounds, manners, good ideas for kids to embrace) but had that slight alternative feel to it that makes you think - if I ignore the lyrics I could so hear this on 106.5 The End.

The guys are Chuck & Steve and they are pretty amazeballs at captivating the audience and keeping the parents entertained as well.  They were amazing.  I will probably order a CD because it is pretty cool to find some kids music that mom and dad can jam out to as well.

Here's a little bonus to this:  the Chuck guy reminded me of a band out of Chapel Hill I remember back in the late 90's (am I dating myself).  He kind of looked and sounded like the Ben dude that played a piano and sang a song about a trip he and his girlfriend took the day after Christmas (yeah not very kid friendly in more ways than one).  Anyhoo after the show was over and we were awaiting on our ice cream, I Googled the band and low and behold home dude is Chuck Folds - Ben Folds little brother - Ben Folds Five remember?  Anyone?  Ok so how cool is that.  Connections made.  I should be a detective or something.

Moral of this:  Go see the Big Bang Boom Band when they play your area.  They are very fun.

Website link:  http://bigbangboom.weebly.com/index.html

xx
Brownie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!