Thursday, January 3, 2013

Left Overs

1.3.13

I'm looking at that date and suddenly I am sitting in a classroom at WRD Elementary back in the day.  The teacher would put these puzzles up on the board and you had to figure them out.  Some were math and some were more along the lines of language/english.  Ha!  Fun stuff!  Anyone else remember these? 

I'm blogging a bit early today.  Lets just say today has been very low key (smiley face) and I've been on a peaceful purge of paper parade (extra big smiley face) so I thought why not go ahead and get my blog out (even bigger smiley face)!  May I apologize for no pictures on this blog today?  Sorry.

Last night my hubby and I had a terrific dinner.  Unfortunately, I did not photograph the process or the finished product.  However, it was delightfully delicious!  What made it even more delicious was that we enjoyed it while our little girl played in her playroom and baby boy slept in his swing. 

I have named this dish:  La vache délicieuse d'Brownie
(which is french for The Delicious Cow of Brownie)

Here's what you will need:

Beef Round Sirloin Tip Center Steaks - These generally come in packs of 4-6 they are small cuts which we call portion control! (I fixed 5 because that was my pack, I had intended for these to be used for lunches today but my hubby felt it best to eat them at dinner last night).  Make sure they are thin cut and no more than 1 inch thick.  I do not recommend this recipe if they are thicker.

2 tablespoons of butter

1-2 large onions of your choice.  Cut the onion(s) down the center to halve it.  Put the halves together and slice.

Black pepper

Salt

Heat your butter in a large skillet/frying pan until melted (medium heat), toss in your onions, you are now carmelizing your onions.  This will tak about 18 minutes or so.  Stir them regularly so they do not burn.  Once they are completed place them on a dish/plate.

Now lets work with that meat.  Keep the skillet at medium heat.  Before you put that steak in the pan you need to pepper it.  I use traditional black pepper but you can dress it up however you wish.  Sprinkle the pepper over the steaks and use a spoon to press the pepper down into the meat.  Do both sides!  Becareful and do not use too terribly much, the meat will retain the pepper as it cooks!

After you have peppered and pressed its time to put the steaks in the skillet. They need to cook for 15 minutes.  Flip them just as you would on a grill.  And remember do not over cook.  No one asked for shoe leather for dinner.

 These steaks are generally a medium rare but you can cook them a bit longer for a medium finish. I like my cow still mooing so I go for rare at all times.

After the steaks have cooked and you have placed them on a plate to be served - a dash of salt over each one will make the flavor pop.
 
Serve them with the carmelized onions under or on top for a pretty meal.  (And if you are my husband whatever else you decide to throw on top as well.)

Good sides for this dish include salads, french green beans, or you can be a true American and fix up a tater.

Good wines with this would be a red wine of your choice, not too sweet for those of you who are sweet wine fans.  Whites and rose wines are not a good pairing with this meal.  (Ever heard white meat white wine, red meat red wine?  Its a good tip!)

Bon apetite!

I wish I had a picture, its a beautiful meal.

And the best part of this meal was my husband asked how much weight I had lost.  I figured it was his sly way of getting dessert but he was being serious.  Flattered, slightly!  And 5 pounds down.  Get off baby weight!

If you are wondering what I am cooking up tonight....well its left overs.  Dance night + New Years Leftovers = No cooking for the Brownie.

Until we meet again -

Brownie


No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!