Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Dr visits and French lessons

1.9.13

Hanging out in the parking lot of our family practice. Hubby said he needed to go to the doctor. I will not kick the ever dead horse of men and doctor visits. I will say my dearheart only visits the medical environment when: a) he has cut a limb with a power tool b) the family jewels are not sparkling or c) death is imminent (see a & b). Today, strangely enough, is not a or b so I guess c is more fitting since it looks intestinal. We shall see. We have been here 80 minutes....

Remember how I introduced myself as he tightest tight wad you had met?  My daughter had a boo boo incident on the playground.  Check her bandaid I made :)

************
So let's talk some French. No, no, no not those words silly goose! This is not related to having been at the doc's office for 80 minutes. French cooking!!!
Disclaimer: I do not speak French, decorate my home with mini Eiffel Towers, or subscribe to Chanel anything.
So when I say French food what comes to mind? Perhaps...fries, toast, snails? For me it was bread, cheese, grapes, and wine. Then I started indulging in French cuisine. Not necessarily eating but reading, researching, you know....learning!
Here is what I have learned: French food is practical. Yes! You can do this! French food is delicious, somewhat simple, and divine.
(French food is also horrible for the heart and waistline if you are not careful.)
Today I want to share a delicious take on chicken, French style. While working on this recipe I was thinking of a friend who shared her husband only eats grilled chicken for dinner. He is afraid of gaining lost weight back. So if she reads today I hope they can delight in this easy recipe!

Garlic Chicken Stew (or if you are French le ragoût de poulet d'ail)

-Remember we are French right now, stew is not the Brunswick stuff you are thinking of.  If I American English-ed it it would be called Garlic Chicken with no stew even in the title.-

Boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 5-6 pieces.
1 garlic bulb
2 tbsp EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
1/4 cup Parsley flakes or fresh chopped parsley
1/2 cup water
Salt & pepper to taste
1/4 tsp Allspice (you can use cinnamon if you have no allspice)

In a large sautee pot, or dutch oven if you choose, place your chicken.
Take your dry ingredients and pour them over the chicken
Break apart your garlic and place it in the pot (no crushing or mincing needed)
Pour in your water and EVOO.

Turn the heat on to Medium High
Stir your pot

When it begins to boil cover tightly and reduce heat to low and allow to cook for an hour undisturbed. 

And you are fini.

Enjoy the aromas of this dish!  Garlic, allspice....yummy!



I served this dish with cooked cabbage and it was magnifique!  This dish is best taken with a white wine.  I did White Zinfindale with my meal and was very pleased.  Of course the five year old had an aged cabernet with her's.......just kidding.

******************
It is Wednesday night and therefore I will be happily returning to my fictional family - Modern Family for the arrival of the baby and then I will be visiting my friends in Nashville as they return with more insanely stupid night time soap opera drama.  I can admit to liking it.  What is your closet television addiction?


Jusqu'à ce que nous rencontrons encore -


Brownie
French Toast in the morning?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!