Thursday, January 17, 2013

Another ride on the rain train

1.17.13 - A long weekend may be awaiting you!

They say it is coming in this evening.  The white delicacy that we Southerners go ballistic over.  I imagine if they are correct schools will be on shut down tomorrow and everyone will be making southern snow day casserole.

"They" translates to local meteorologists.

"It" referes to the white delicacy known as snow.

"Snow day casserole" translates to a mixture of things people buy in bulk at the threat of bad weather in NC - bread, eggs, milk.  I'm not sure what the nutritional value is here.  I mean I understand your milk for the cereal (which my grandma and insane couponers have on stockpile), and to creme your coffee with.  I get the eggs for some protein in the event you ravage through that jar of peanut butter.  You may want to scramble, boil, or devil some ok.  Then you have your bread and I guess that is for sandwiches, toast, and homemade croutons?  Maybe its for a strange traditional meal of only eating eggs and toast and drinking milk until the snow goes away?  Oh hell I give up.  I just worry I have enough wine to get me through a night of icy roads.  By noon the next day I have no worries I can make it to the store to get whatever else I need.

Earlier in the history of this infant blog I posted I wanted one good snow.  Well if you ask you just may receive.  I wish I would have thought out my request a bit more.

Next year I may wish in this style:

I would love a winter that doesn't require me to contemplate the dimensions of the boat I need to build to survive the waterworld that is forming outside my door.  I would like a healthy amount of rain, snow, and sunshine for my winter bliss and that for the enjoyment of others.

The past 7 days of grey and rain have led me to be down and out about the pending wintry weather.  The ground has said a grumbling "OUT DAMN WATER" to what the sky is pouring down on it.  I have standing water in my yard.  Its a muddy mess.  Snow, though beautiful when falling and laying upon the ground, makes for an even bigger mess of mud when it melts.  That translates to bad floors, lots of vaccuming, mopping, and caked boots.

But enough of the grumbling.  At least we aren't in famine and drought.  The ground will be good for spring...the ground will be good for spring.

**************

My daughter is old enough to understand the term winter weather.  I told her yesterday they were forecasting snow and she let out a loud, high pitched squeal of joy (though in any different circumstance would be of fear).  This from my child who has seen snow nearly every year of her life - including a large Christmas snow two years ago!  It is fun to see it through her eyes.  Especially when you live in an area that doesn't get the guarantee of winter weather every winter season.  No matter how much we may wake up to tomorrow she'll be delighted and want to run out in it.  She'll treat it as if its the first snow she has ever seen and will laugh and run and never want to come inside again.  I should take a lesson from that.  Perhaps we all should.

Earlier in the blog I had reached out asking for a youth group opportunities for my little diva.  A friend messaged me and invited us to her church to join in their youth fun.  I am so glad we did.  My little girl is so excited for Wednesday nights to roll around.  She worked so hard memorizing her verses to earn her vest.  Starting so late in the year she won't be able to catch up with her peers but that hasn't stopped her in trying to!  Last night she came home with her book and vest and was ready to memorize her entire book to catch up.  I hope she always keeps that mentality.  The doors that will open for her if she does will be endless.  Once again - a lesson learned from a little kid.

***************

The anniversary planning is still underway - I thought we had found a place and then my husband began searching again on his lunch break. (And I thought it was my job to change my mind ten thousand times!) We are back in the search and find department of anniversary celebration planning.  He has his heart set on a certain style of accomodation.  At this point I just don't care as long as its free of Disney Jr.

Share your best romantic weekend stories with me - location, things you did (not that please) and all the cool parts (no, not that either you nasty thang).  Please refrain from telling me about your trip to a beautiful tropical land, I do not need winter depression setting in!!!

***************

I have a recipe for you.  It is one that I had to doctor up....and my husband decided to take the reigns on this one!  Being that we are in a chilly, rainy, gross time you need a good hearty stew.  Look no further than Portugal for this yummy take on potato stew. Anyway you can healthify it up by cutting butter, using water, and taking a light approach to salt (or no salt at all)

If you have never had kale before then you are in for an interesting treat.  If Kale were a veggie child it would probably be the product of turnip greens and broccoli getting together and procreating.  It has a very earthy, strong flavor. It is seriously healthy for you so yummy yummy in your tummy!

Kale & Potato Stew

2cups of kale (the vegetable not the NASCAR driver) rough chopped, no stems
1-2 potatoes
2tsp garlic seasonin of our choice (I used cloves, husband dumped in garlic salt)
5 cups of water or stock of your choice
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp Old Bay
3tbsp butter unsalted is all I use when I use it
S&P to taste

Take your potatoes and cut them into 8 pieces, along with 2 cups of your water or broth place in a pan - boil for fifteen minutes.

While your potatoes are boiling pour the rest of your water or broth into a pot, put your kale in, and your oregano.  Cook until the kale is tender - so about 10 minutes or so.

When your potatoes are done move them to your blender, ninja, or food processor.  Dump them in with about half a cup of the fluid you cooked them in.  Throw in your butter and some pepper.  Pulse until it is a nice chunky puree, about six pulses for my Ninja!  KA POW!

Make sure your kale is tender and pour your potato mixture in with your kale.

Add seasonings (garlic salt, old bay, s&p) or any others you think would be good on your palate.

Stir and serve!

*******************

For the record, yes I cried at Modern Family last night.  Al Bundy, its all your fault.  It was a wonderful reminder of the blessings we are all bestowed throughout our lifetimes and how interesting the curve balls we are thrown can be. 

What is your curve ball that has turned into an incredible blessing on your life?  Share it.

*******************

No matter where you are today I hope your day is safe and your toes are warm.  Frostbite is a bad friend. HA!

******************

Until we meet again -



Brownie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!