Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Three Things Wednesday

I normally do 3 Things On My Mind Tuesday but this week it had to be moved to Wednesday.  So here's my 3 Three Things on My Mind Wednesday Edition!
 
 
 
1.  Why is my kid becoming so tough to deal with EXPLAINED!
 
I feel like I am constantly blogging this topic.  I think we made some breakthrough though!  The other day she was completely out of control with her words and temper.  Lately, she has picked up a new word:  hate.  The context she uses it in:  "I hate _____".  I realize that she really doesn't understand the definition of hate so when she uses it she is using it incorrectly.  I remember being told that I couldn't use the word hate growing up.  I was always told to say "I do not like".  Lately, she hates me....her day....various activities and chores.  I am now viewing the words in our language a bit differently than before.  I knew there would come a day when my kid would say she hated me.  I just thought it would come during those tender loving adolescent years.  Boy was I wrong.  After the last total blow up she had and put the hate stamp on every blessed thing around her I took a totally different approach to how I would deal with the situation.  I asked her to sit at the kitchen table.  I put her brother in the pack n play with Sesame Street as the babysitter and made myself a bit of lunch (always an hour after they had their own).  I then sat down beside her and made her look at me as we had a....get ready for this....conversation.
 
My opening question:  "Why don't you tell me why you hate everything?"
 
Her response:  "Mama I'm so bored."
 
My next question:  "Why do you think you're bored?"
 
Her response:  "I just am.  When does school start?"
 
That was the opening to a discussion about attitude, actions, words, God, Kindergarten, and her role in this little big world.
 
I normally say "bored" is a cop out but for the first time I get it.  I'm never bored because I have two children to keep me on my toes with all things child rearing and a house that keeps me busy with all things domestic and a blog that keeps my down time busy by having me churn out new posts.
 
She has chores, play time, nap time, time to eat.  I thought that was all kids needed.  She wants more.  No, she isn't asking for Disney World next week or trips to Toys R Us.  She's actually asking for some better stimulation.
 
We decided to curb the boredom at her request of the best cure.  Can you imagine what that was?  Worksheets.  (This is not my kid obviously!)
 
So now we're doing six worksheets a day of math and language arts.  Yesterday it was counting and identifying number groups. 
 
I'm happy to announce I haven't heard the "h" word or "b" word yet.  Let's pray it continues.
 
 
 
2.  The tree in the backyard.
 
North Carolina isn't known for short summers or cool weather in July or August.  You can imagine how baffled I was that the tree (yellow maple) in our backyard starting laying its leaves on the ground a few weeks ago.  It can be attributed to the cooler temps and monsoon rains we started having oh say back in February.
 
The tree has me thinking all things fall.  I can imagine the impending new school year is also putting pumpkins, mums, and cider in my head too.
 
3.  New Balance.
 
As is regular for me at the end of the summer my New Balances are now on me pretty regularly.  I can wear my beloved flip flops for about four months before my legs and feet go on strike.  That time has came - they are on the picket line.  A few nights ago I had shin splints and aches the common issue after a season of flip flop wearing.  I know if I get a pair of orthopedic flip flops like your great grandma sports at the assisted living center I could wear them longer but I just cannot do that yet.
 
Got three things on your brain?  Share them!










No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!