Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Tasty Tuesday

Take your chili to a whole new level this winter season.

Chili is one of our most favorite comfort and crock pot meals during the cold months.  This month I decided to change it up a little bit and add new ingredients and delete the old standby's.

Two weeks ago I made a delicious Tex Mex Chili.  I omitted ground beef/turkey and in its place I put some pork that was pre cut for stews.  I gave it a light coating in a flour, cumin, salt and pepper mixture and then browned it in some olive oil on the stove top.  I then moved the pork to the crock pot.



Meanwhile, in a bowl I added a bottle of green salsa, 2 cups of onion, some low sodium chicken broth, oregano and chili powder, fresh minced garlic.  I stirred this up and then added it into the crock pot with the pork.

I topped it off with a larger can (19.25oz) of black beans.

It cooked for about six hours and then we devoured it.

This is a thick chili and could be served many ways.  You can easily put it in a bowl with some avocados and sour cream as a meal or you could serve it as a dip with chips.

The kids loved it and the adults did too.

Proper Recipe

2-3lbs of pork stew meat
3 T of AP flour
1T cumin
1/2T salt
1/2T black pepper
3T Olive Oil

Stir together your dry ingredients and toss your stew meat in it.  Brown in the olive oil on the stove top.

1 jar of green salsa (salsa verde)
2 cups of chopped onion (I use yellow onions)
3/4 cup of a healthy option chicken broth (lower sodium)
1 1/2T dried oregano
1 1/2T chili powder
1/2T minced garlic

Stir these items together in a large bowl and then add to your pork in the crock pot.

1 19.25oz can of black beans (drain or don't, totally up to you)

Cook on low for about six hours.

I served it up with sour cream and cheese and some tortilla chips.


*****

My Diva is in the second half of her first grade year.  They have a snack time before the end of the day bell rings.  I decided I didn't want to buy treats anymore.  Instead, I let her pick out a sweet treat for us to bake together on Sundays.  After we bake it up and pull out five containers and put a serving in for each day of the school week.  The remaining go in a tub for the family to enjoy as dessert or a treat when we watch a movie.

It works out great and its less than $2.00 a week.

This could be used for non kid households too.  If you're trying to keep your calories in check you can do just as we do and bag up proper portion sizes and throw it in your bag for work.  Saving money and calories during that 2:00 slump never seemed so easy.

See ya later!








1 comment:

  1. That chili sounds so good! I usually bake on the weekends and then have that as my "treat" for the week (I eat dessert after every meal, it's a problem). But that way my dessert is cheap (pre-packaged cookies and sweet treats are EXPENSIVE otherwise)!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!