Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Comprehending Compassion


I realize not everyone subscribes to the same belief system I do and I want to make it known I totally respect that.  When my posts go into topics that are quickly labeled as faith based I do not want that to scare any reader away.  I just needed to throw that out there.  My whole thought process is that these blog posts are supposed to be user friendly no matter who you are or what you believe.  They should transcend over the hardened lines that the word religion and faith have skewed.

~*~

On Sundays we have been studying compassion.  I feel like compassion is best described as a verb.  It is an action that you show - or are supposed to show - to everyone around you.   However, the good old dictionary says its a noun.

This past Sunday the Children's Lesson was based around how hard compassion is for us to show.

I always think its interesting how sometimes we learn more from a children's lesson than from the adult's lesson.  For us adults to be so worldly and wise there's nothing like a good lesson for 5-10 year olds to knock us on our butts.

The youth leader was telling the kids about the word compassion and how it never states in the Bible or really any religious text that compassion would be so hard to show.

She couldn't be more correct in that statement.

com·pas·sion
kəmˈpaSHən/
noun
  1. sympathetic pity and concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others.
    "the victims should be treated with compassion"


I started taking an inventory in my brain of times when I should have shown compassion but didn't.  Times that I rolled my eyes and turned away and thought bad thoughts.

True, I'm a human and I'm going to make tons mistakes.  However, I shouldn't allow myself to strip compassion from those who need it most.

How many times have you seen this guy or girl:



How many times have you made a joking comment at his expense?  Me, tons.

How many times have you thought, get a job?  Me, bunches.

How many times have you turned your head like she didn't exist?  Me, nearly always.

That's not compassion.

That is judgement.

That is cruelty.

That is not what we are here to do.

The point of the matter is this.  He may be raking in a hundred bucks a day standing there, sure.  A hundred tax free bucks.  Or she may be broken and as our minister says, pushed down.  He may not know how to better himself and she may need just what that sign says.

A miracle.

The miracle could be something as small as someone who has compassion for what they don't know about him or her.

What if he's fighting an addiction that has stripped him of every ounce of dignity?

What if she's battled illness of the body or mind that left him with scars deeper than we can imagine?

What if once upon a time they were just like us.  He had a nice warm home, a little family, dinner on the table and in the blink of an eye she lost it....every piece of it.

Lets take steps to force ourselves to be less self absorbed and more compassionate in 2015.  Each week let's complete a challenge that makes us a better human being.  We can do this.  We can make ourselves better and the world around us so much more amazing if we'll just stop doing the little things that strip the good from our souls.

This week take notice of that man or woman holding the sign.  Have something ready to hand them.  A bag of snacks, a five dollar bill, a gift card for a fast food place...you don't have to give them your wallet or your kidney.  Just show them a smile and a little help.  Acknowledge them.


Together we'll build compassion in ourselves and others.  I believe we can change the world...or at least the world around us.

Join me in this weekly blog post for the next few weeks.

See ya later.









3 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda. Found you via the Friday Favorite link up with Momfessionals. This one spoke to my heart and a kick to my belly. (conviction). I have not been very compassionate this past week because I wanted to wallow my world. I need to fix that. Thank you for your words. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're human we screw up....a lot. The cool part is every day is a brand new slate to make ourselves better. I'm so thankful for that! I hope you'll visit again! Blessings to you Laurie!

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!