Wednesday, May 14, 2014

NFTTAD: The future is grim.


  

Another edition of Notes From the TA's Desk



1.  Kids do not know how to properly ask for anything.

Kid:  I need another paper.
Me:  Excuse me?
Kid:  Give me another paper.
Me:  Um how about asking me the proper way?
Kid:  <Looks around like I have asked her solve a calculus problem>
Me:  How do you ask for something you need?
Kid:  <Looks as if I have asked her to come up with a cure for cancer in five seconds>
Me:  Remember when you were tiny and your mom taught you "magic words"?
Kid:  Um no.
Me:  Go sit down.  When you remember them come see me.
Kid:  Ok. <shell shocked>

Two minutes later:

Kid:  Mrs. B I really need a paper.
Me:  Ok so ask me for one.
Kid:  Give me a paper <smiles>
Me:  <frustrated>  Really?  That's all you can think of.  That's how you ask for something?
Kid:  Yeah.
Me:  Well let me teach you a quick lesson.  When I want something I say, "May I please have and then I finish up with thank you.
Kid:  Oh.

Yep this is the FUTURE people.


2.  Summer-itis


Most of the kids are done with school for the year.  Not officially but mentally.  The smart kids are making bad grades.  The kids who don't care still don't care and have checked out totally.  I remember feeling that way in May when I was in elementary school.  Too bad their testing is two weeks away.

3.  Teacher Appreciation Week

I was very happy to receive flowers and a gift card.  I was also very excited that our fabulous PTO spoiled us senseless and totally wrecked my healthy eating pattern for a week.



4.  Girls are evil

Ever watch a triangle of girls?  You know three "friends" that are butt buddies?  Boys can rock it they are normal.  Girls, however, cannot.  Girls are demonic.  There has been this little triangle of girls who are friends and lately the Alpha girl has put her attention on Sister Golden Hair instead of Brown Eyed Girl.  Because of this Brown Eyed Girl is acting very differently.  Sister Golden Hair is oblivious to it.  Alpha Girl is rocking her power over the two others.  I can already see how these females will be in ten years.  

5.  Realizations



Third grade is a tough grade.  I remember my personal third grade experience and it was weird.  You're not a little kid but you're not really a big kid.  You don't get smileys anymore you get As and F's.  You have to test for your salt.  I realize that these kids are going to transform over the summer and be strangers as they enter 4th grade next year.  Being a mom I find it a bit sad.  The innocence is slowly drifting away as they let mainstream society and others even more than when they first entered school.  Over the summer they'll fall victim to the beginnings of puberty and the oddness of really blossoming into a miniature adult.  God bless 'em.









The Hump Day Blog Hop

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!