Thursday, December 12, 2013

Christmas Muzak

Do you happen to have a radio station playing Christmas music nonstop where you live?  The market I live in has two stations playing strictly Christmas music.  Normally, I like this. It is fitting for me as I bake, craft, shop, wrap, drive, etc.  This year I am annoyed with it.

Here's the deal.  In my mind I believe there are thousands of Christmas albums out there.  The classics like Bing Crosby, the eighties and Wham!, the nineties and Whitney Houston, the two thousands and Christina Aguilera.  

Here's the reality.  I must be in total error over that thought.  


Our Christmas stations are only playing the same songs over...and over....and over....and over.  Four versions of Do You Hear What I Hear.  Seventeen versions of Happy Holidays.  Three Celine Dion songs.  The Josh Groban/military song.  


Don't get me wrong, they are good tunes but nothing is good if it is redundant in a mix.  When I say redundant I mean they play it every fifteen minutes.


I'm also finding that most of the redundancy is probably based around the idea of mentioning the true meaning of Christmas (Jesus) is frowned upon in mainstream radio land.  <EYE ROLL> Get over it people.  Thank God they love Celine Dion and get a little bit of true Christmas out there I guess!

Don't get me wrong Rudolph is fun and yeah I want to sleigh ride to the Ronnettes but guys....seriously!  Let's play something different!  Let's get some different songs in the mix.

I really like a lot that the country artists have recorded and released.  Unfortunately, the radio stations do not seem to play those songs...ever.  

Do you have a favorite Christmas song that you never hear on the radio?  What is it?  Share it so we can make a cool playlist that won't make our ears bleed.









1 comment:

  1. Yes!! Everything on Dave Barnes Christmas cd is awesome...specifically Family Tree, Mary and Joseph, and Holiday for Two. The happiest Christmas song I've ever heard that i LOVE is "Jesus, Savior" by Chris August!! xx

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!