Thursday, March 14, 2013

Winter Pope Slapped Me!

3.14.13  Happy Birthday Pappaw Dorman & Go Pack!

Who else felt that cold slap of winter when they woke up this morning?  We are just an outstretched arm away from the beloved spring and this morning winter just had to pimp slap us across the face.  Oh well....we aren't alone.  Miami is only going to reach a bitter seventy three degrees today.  The weatherman said that's about twelve degrees below their March average.

And Jesus wept.

Speaking of Jesus....there's a new pope in the Vatican this morning.  Buenos Aires is proud of their Italian son.  Does that make any sense?  I was listening to his history while getting ready for the day this morning.  Homeboy's family moved to Argentina from Italy (still trying to grasp that one) he was going to college to be a chemist and was called into the priesthood instead.  He did a lot of work with the poor - opted to live in a modest apartment instead of the house for the priest.  Sounds like a good guy.  He's a spring chicken at seventy-something....lets see how long this one lasts.

I'm not Catholic so I don't quite get the whole old man in Rome thing.  I do however respect him and hope he has a good run. 

Speaking of religion..... Passover and Easter are quickly approaching us.  I hope you have a good holiday no matter what you celebrate.  I've been doing some research on how to appropriately teach small children what Easter is really about.  I know it is hard to explain that the bunny is merely a side dish to the main course.  Look for a blog about what I have learned coming in the near future.

Speaking of Easter.....chocolate is heavenly.  Weigh-ins are not.  I was so stoked to weigh in yesterday after my workout.  I was like "oh yeah I got this, I totally feel another three pounds off...." - ok.... no, apparently I was totally foolish to think I would have lost anything considering I did up my work out game even more and strictly followed my caloric intake.  I lost 0lbs.  As in null, void, zip, zilch, nada, nothing.  Then I measured....I lost an inch. Meaning I may not be losing weight persay but I am turning some blubber into some rubber....as in I am building a bit of muscle.  Next week I'll decrease that scale a little....I'll happily take another inch off too....hopefully.

Do you think having your period affects the scale?

****************************************

You all know that I have had a bit of a battle with my five year old daughter.  She morphed from a sweet, angelic being to the possible spawn of Satan.  I read a lot of books and realized a lot of personal crap.  I made some adjustments to me and to our schedule.  I did some major pope style praying. (Had to tie it in)

This week has been a turning point.

I reintroduced (and somewhat forced) the nap concept back into the picture and gave her an option about her Wednesday night social life.  I think....not sure.....but I think I have my old girl back.  She's been laid back, relaxed, and happy.  She's even been enjoying her baby brother's company.  (And Jesus wept again!!!)

A few things we did to help get this pretty picture back in the frame?

1.  Naps are necessary.


i.heart.real.smiles
Kids need a lot of sleep.  Those brains and bodies are constantly burning up fuel and at the same time creating more and more energy.  Bed time is strictly 8:30.  Nap time is back and it is 2:00pm - no if ands or buts.  She needs a break from herself and a nap is the best time to get that break in. 

2.  She needs a dose of control.

Each week we have three days in a row of go, go, go!  Soccer, Cubbies, Dance.  Soccer and Dance are not optional - I'm paying she's going.  She is part of a team - she's going.  Cubbies is social, fun, and something we work on even away from the place with the steeple.  If she feels like she needs time at home on Wednesday nights then that's fine - she's home but if she is ready to go and be with her peers then that's fine too.

3.  She needs all of us for just a little while each day.

Bed time is now family time.  We all - and I mean the four of us - go to her room cuddle up on her bed and read a book together.  You want your kid to go to bed smiling right?  Well she does.

4.  More girl time.

She's always been surrounded by boys.  Her first friend - a boy.  Her daycare - mainly boys.  Her first preschool - pretty much boys.  This preschool - boys.  Soccer - boys.  She's in dance with girls but to be honest, I don't really know the moms too well and the age differences seem pretty huge.  She has one girlfriend who she has hit it off with and they will hopefully be in the same kindergarten.  To my little diva it is awesome that there is another female in this world that is her age and who also loves to play dressup and giggle and likes the color pink. Luckily, this little chick's mom is a friend and so playdates are a go. 

These little steps have helped us immensely in the past two weeks.

*****************************************

Let's get the winter out, shall we?

This is so easy.

My newest love.  I will name her Randi, yes, Randi the Ranunculus!

Yesterday I went grocery shopping (goodbye money....it was nice to have you for a bit).  As I was pushing my cart my eyes caught something beautiful beside the automatic doors.  Some people are a sucker for a pocketbook, dress, jewelry, chocolate.  Me.....plants. 

Get the winter out of your house by buying a plant or two.

Here are Zeb & Flora my kitchen girls.  They are growing!
I brightened up my porch with a beautiful ranunculus.  These are cold spring lovers who tolerate chilly willy temperatures quite well.  They are pretty freaking fabulous to look at.  The local Food Lion had them for $6.99.  They featured pink, yellow, and coral.

I also advise everyone to get some green in their homes - green as in houseplants.  They will really boost your air and boost your mood!  Most of them have a tropical feel to them so that should make you happy.  Also, this is a great time of year to purchase Peace Lillies because they are everywhere and cheap!  They clean your air wonderfully and you really have little maintenance for those beauties.

***************************************

Until we meet again -


Brownie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!