Thursday, March 21, 2013

Ponderings and Kindergarten Funnies

3.21.13 First day of the new chapter

It is now day two of spring.  Here's a sentence that describes the glorious morning I am looking out at....

That sun is so bright and the skies are so blue let me grab my winter coat and we'll go!

If the winter coat part threw you off then let me refresh your memory of what I said a few days ago.  I was talking about winter clothes - I said you can't pack them away until May 1st - point made.

Our high today in the beautiful beloved south is 41.

***************************************

Today marks a new start - or new preparedness - for a pretty big step in anyone's life.  Correction:  anyone who isn't homeschooled. Tonight we will be going to Kindergarten Orientation.  The notes were sent home from preschool a couple weeks ago and we jotted it down on our calendar.  Every now and then we would say something about tonight's event but it hasn't been on the front burner of our life stove.

Two weeks flew by - about as fast as five years did - and today when I woke up my little diva she said with sleepy eyes - "Today is Kindergarten day" - yes, today is Kindergarten day.

I thought I would be a bit more taken aback by this start of the march to school but right now I feel good.  This good feeling can only be attributed to a few details in her life and my life currently:

1.  She's ready.  The poor kid is bored with mom and brother and preschool.  She wants to be stimulated in a new way and it is exciting to think she will get all that very soon.

2.  She's not a baby anymore.  She reads (on a second grade level, go girl!  Now if we can just get the math on the same track I'll be one happy mama - because I suck at math).  The more she's not being stimulated the more she'll want to be revert backwards in the maturity department.

3.  I have a baby.  It may sound totally ridiculous but having my little fella is making this transition way easier for me. Having said that I am totally aware that when he starts school I'll be in crumbles and will need to be swept off the floor.  I am not having anymore children so when the baby gets to Kindergarten I'll happily bawl my eyes out and drink a few cases of wine.  Until then he's keeping me steady so his sister can take this next step without me ordering a supply carrier from Kleenex.

4.  It is time.  Every thing in life has a season.  I have been given a healthy, sweet, endearing, sometimes bratty little girl.  I was blessed to have her first five years be so full with lots of love, learning, and awesome experiences.  Now I will watch this little girl, who has my imprint all over her, start her "own" journey and see her start to grow and fashion herself on her own accord (within limits).  Yes, its just kindergarten but it is also a lot bigger than that.  Kindergarten is the gateway grade.  It will introduce her to new people and experiences.  It will make her start to learn things without mom and dad being there immediately to say "no that's not good" or "yes, do that!"

I am lucky that the school she will be going to has good teachers and a good atmosphere (for the most part, I would totally be up for some changes in a few areas but tis life).  I am also very blessed that she will know a fair majority of the students she will be in class with. 

So here we go....it is kindergarten night.

******************************************************

Facebook  - I do not miss it.  Until I hear someone say, "Did you see what I put up for sale on FB?"  or "Did you see the pictures I put up on FB?  Oh no you're not on there anymore."

I really could care less about 90% of the crap on there.  I have done exceptionally well without it for a month and a half.  But this blog lost 20% of it's readership upon my exit from Zuckerberg's creation.  Today's stats showed that the 20 is now up to 30.  I have my loyal readers and I am appreciative to each of you.  I really enjoy writing this blog each day that I get to.  I love your feedback!  Thanks to you guys I'm doing this Pinterest thing and to be honest, I hadn't been on Pinterest in ages until I started this week's theme.

Next week's theme is Teaching & Celebrating Easter.

Here's the deal....I'm torn.  Do I start Facebook back up?  Or do I say no, I'm fine without it, my blog can just suffer? 

Give me some feedback on that one.  You can leave a comment or you can email.

**********************************************

Pinterest can be so useful.  I was searching for some kindergarten prep stuff and found a link I wanted to check out.  It linked me to a site called Teachers Pay Teachers.  I didn't put a link in this blog post...keep reading.

When I clicked the link it took me to the Teachers Pay Teachers store.  I x'd out.  I wasn't going to buy anything I was just looking for any tips I could find.  As soon as I x'd out guess what happened?  The Teachers Pay Teachers windows kept popping up and opening.

So a friendly tip:  when you're looking at pins and you see Teachers Pay Teachers DO NOT CLICK IT.

Today's pin is: Right here

Here's what you need to do.  Click the pin, click the kid's pic, then click the link that will take you to a hilarious blog post about a dad who is prepping his 2 year old for kindergarten.  You will roll with laughter.

If you want to skip the pinterest part and go straight to the blog then click here

Share this pin with all your friends who have small children.  It is well worth it.

**********************************************

Have a great day!

Be good to each other -

Brownie



No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!