Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Eggcellent Ideas

3.27.13 Wow the sky is gorgeous today!

This morning as I was driving back home from working out (note to self do not deviate from set schedule) the DJ said - "Today's high is the normal low for this time of year."  That didn't settle too well with me.

If anyone is trying to quit smoking or trying to turn someone off from ever taking a puff - you should send them with me one morning to work out.  An older gentleman stepped up onto the machine next to mine.  All was fine until he started sweating.  The sweat was a concoction of nicotine and tar....it had been fermenting in this guy and was exiting his body through his pores.  I have a terrible gag reflex - its embarassing, I will start gagging so easily - so I had to immediately end my work out (only 30 seconds left thank goodness) and retreat to the locker room.  I really hope that guy can break his addiction and get healthy asap.  Smoking doesn't just kill....it makes you smell really really bad.

My now seven month old is enduring homemade babyfood for some meals.  He hates texture.  Oh my! The first born was never ever picky....the times they are a changin'.  He has also learned such key life skills such as spitting and making an engine sounds.  It is cute but makes meal time a bit difficult!

I love classic country music.  However, I think today's country music is very blurred between genres such as pop and adult contemporary.  The whole choice of using the name country is a bit out of hand.  I'm hearing more stuff that isn't quite country but maybe more like cheap corny.  Could that be a genre name?  Cheap Corny.  When I write my blog I generally have one of the local country stations on - the song that came on just a few minutes ago started out along the lines of - "If your dream is to have a double wide in a hollar...." (I have a feeling he isn't one of Taylor Swift's options for dating).  So then I started drifting into thoughts about songs about trailers.  Now I'm not putting down trailers - you live in what you want and what you can afford and what is right for you.  I lived in a trailer at the very beginning of my life and then again at the very beginning of my marriage.  My goal was to get out of a trailer. When the wind blows hard they may blow off into Oz.  They aren't very green but they are made out of recyclable materials (tin).  They aren't good investments because they aren't "real estate".  They are however practical if you move a lot - most have some wheels on them somewhere.  So...country music offers another fun song about trailers....here's a flashback: Sammy Kershaw's Queen of the Double Wide Trailer  you should get a good laugh out of this one.

Congratulations outside the home workers - you have one more day this week!  And if you have to work on Good Friday then woo hoo for an extra day of pay!?

**************************************************

Celebrating Easter:  Day 3

Now is a good time to decorate some eggs.  Eggs are an international symbol of fertility (guess who all came from eggs.......chickens, ducks, lizards, snakes, fish, turtles, frogs, and you and me....thanks mom). 

I've compiled a few cool ways to decorate eggs with your kids no matter what age they are.  I challenge you to go a step beyond food coloring and do something creative and cool.  My little girl loves to paint so after dying the eggs the traditional way I gave her some paints and let her have at it.  Her paintings included a flower, a cross, and an angel.

A really cool thing to do is to discuss all the babies that come from eggs (its ok you can leave out people it may totally confuse your kid and it may lead to a conversation that has to do with birds and bees and yeah....)  This is a great entry into discussing the new life Christ offers us through his death and resurrection.  With young kids I think its totally important to stress Jesus Loves You.  With your older, school age kids, you can totally get into a conversation about new life through the crucifix.

Conversations at the dinner table when you're doing something other than eating together make a huge impact.

Here are some cool ideas for your eggs:

1.  Pick out some fun shaped stickers and place on the egg.  Dye the egg with the stickers on.  After the eggs are dry remove the stickers and you'll have an imprint of whatever sticker you used. 

2.  Skip the dye and use paint pens or markers.

3.  Melted Crayon Easter Eggs  I just may do this next year, how stinkin' cool!

4.  If you love polk dots.....dye your eggs after they dry use a pencil eraser to make dots using your favorite craft paint!

************************************************

Recipe?  Sure!

Garlic Onion Steak (around 220 cals per serving)

Purchase a pack of steak cut for stir fry
1/2 tsp black pepper
onion cut into thin slices
2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 c sun dried tomato vinagrette dressing
2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese

Heat a skillet sprayed with cooking oil to medium heat

Add steak and sprinkle with black pepper

Allow the steak to cook thoroughly (6-9 minutes)

Remove the steak, reserve the drippings in the skillet - it will flavor your onion sauce.

Add onions and garlic to skillet.

Stir in the dressi

Cover and cook five minutes, remove lid and cook four minutes.

Top steak with onion mixture.

Sprinkle with parmesan!

I served with fresh broccoli (steamed).  The hubby did like this dish unlike the chicken made the night before.  My little girl also loved this dish. 

*I used reduced fat parm from Walmart, it saved .5g of fat and had reduced calories*

***************************************

I'm going out for a little me time this afternoon.  I hope you guys can get some you time this week!

**************************************

Be good to each other -



Brownie


Like this blog?  Please share it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!