Monday, July 21, 2014

Getting Into The Great Outdoors (or something like that)

Warning!  I am divulging some "new" information in this post.

Post 1:  Meet my new little property tax.

At the beginning of July I became the proud new owner of a pop-up camper.  I would like to make this tidbit of information so much more golden than it is.  Unfortunately, the sugar coating machine is clogged.

All kidding aside I have a pop-up camper now.  In May, the hubby and I began asking the age old question of whether we should get a boat or a camper.  

What?  
You weren't aware of that age old question?  
Well that's how us high class folk roll ya know!  Get a boat or get a house on wheels by gah!

The camper won by a landslide due to many factors.  
OK really two contributing factors.  

The first was that our friends who had boats quickly shot down the boat idea.  They let us know that boats were not economical, required too much maintenance, were too expensive to use, and finally a waste of money.  We also noted that nearly all our friends who had boats had sold them in the last couple of months.

The second, and major, contributing factor was that a camper kind of sort of fell in my lap.  OUCH!  Ok not literally but to make a long story short my dad had one he wasn't going to use so I got it for a great deal.

So what is a "pop-up" camper?  
Well for those of you who are travel trailer virgins let me put the ball in the hitch.  
Ugh that was um gross.


A pop up camper is that thing you see behind cars, trucks, SUVs, and minivans that is sandwiched down to look like a piece of metal with a doggy door on it.  


You get a place to "set it up" at and you literally pop the thing up.  I am not kidding you.  You manually pull the sides out (beds) and then you take a crank and crank that bad boy open.  KABOOM a camper.

High rollin' I tell you.

Ours has many amenities on it including:  
Electrical hook up
Water hook up
Gas hook up (which scares the bajeezus out of me)
Sink
Fridge (wait or is that a cabinet...?)
Stove  (never will I use it, that is just too confined of a space baby dolls)

And if you are going, "Is this really camping?"
It is because we do not have a shower, toilet, or air conditioning.

Go ahead, roll your eyes with me.

A pop up is a glorified tent.  
It has a bit of structure to it thanks to some vinyl, metal, and wood.  It also allows you to see at night thanks to the power hook up for the four interior lights.  Other than that you're pretty much in a tent.  


The beds are not Serta or Sleep Number.  They are pieces of over-sized foam in furniture upholstery.  I know that sounds very plush to you, gentle reader, but really.

When I was in high school my parents purchased a pop up camper.  I can say I never stayed one night in that thing.  I always made my way home at bed time.  Ok...wait there was one time I stayed in it.  It just wasn't my thing.

Now that I'm just a bit older I realize they aren't the worst form of "vacationing".  {Let me just confide to you I have slept in a couple places where the mice shared the mattress with me.  Don't judge, college was fun!}

Pop-ups are pretty economical too.  The maintenance is minimal.  You just have to be a bit of a neat freak and keep them clean.  My husband already did an outside check to keep the thing waterproof.  I guess if you have lived in a single wide trailer, ok any trailer not wanting to discriminate, you know the basic care a camper needs...they're like cousins guys.  Also since part of the structure is basically tent canvas you have to keep it in good condition as well.  This means cleaning and waterproofing it.  Really its not hard work.  

Good tips for cleaning and waterproofing the canvas on your pop up camper.
Pop Up Help on Pinterest!


We can go away for a weekend for roughly $50 with our little pop up.  The rate includes our electric and water.  I wish I could stay at the condos and hotels I prefer for $50 a night in the summer!  Since we live on a budget and make sure we know where each penny goes; cheap get- a-ways are a total must for us.  Campgrounds offer many fun activities for families.  From putt-putt to traditional canoeing to craft activities and movie nights there are tons going on you just have to find the best campground fit for your family and budget.  This topic will pop back up in another post.

Click here to visit Robslink for this camping NC map!



Then there's the whole purpose of camping.  Camping means you get out and unplug.  You enjoy what is outside - hiking, swimming, boating, fishing, tubing, etc.  With a pop up you get to do all that and have something a tad bit more stable than a tent to hang out in when the rain comes down.

However, when the thunder rolls and lightning strikes go to safer shelter.

This has been post one on my newest addition.  This week and in the future there will be more posts on camping.  I'm learning as I go and cannot wait to play around with organization, recipes, and places and things to do when you're out and about with your tent, camper, or even RV.  






No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!