Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Family {Planning}: Post Op

Surgery Day

Yesterday my honey bunny had his surgery.  I woke up at 6:12 AM and took a quick shower.  Knowing he couldn't eat or drink I tried to rush around and stuff a brownie {healthy...} down my pie hole and chug some coffee.  My mom came over to hang out with the kids until they woke up.  She had Dunkin in hand so I'm sure they were thrilled.

WFBH:  It just keeps growing.

I cannot say enough about how great our experience was at Wake Forest Baptist Health Outpatient Surgical Services Center.  There was little to no wait time from the moment we arrived to getting him back and getting the surgery under-way.  The whole team (3 nurses, 2 anesthesiologists, 1 doctor, 1 resident, and 1 CNA II) was superb.

Do you know how odd it is to be the one sitting in the chair beside the bed?  

Lately, when it comes time to be in the hospital for anything its me.  I'm the one gowned up and nervous.  I'm the one dreading the nurse's "1,2,3 and a little bee sting" when the IV is put in place.  

When you're not the patient it is just so weird.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed being needle free!  But it was odd to watch someone you love so much lie in that bed getting prepped to have a procedure.  

Since his surgery would be dealing with rerouting blood flow in a very delicate area he would have to be totally knocked out and intubated. 

 I didn't realize this.  

We had initially went to see Dr. Davis {who is awesome and should be YOUR urologist if you need one} for a vasectomy but he quickly let it be known there was a stage-three-bigger-issue going on in a delicate region that had to be combated before we could attempt sterilization.  


My mind didn't quite wrap around the local anesthetic turning to being knocked the hell out and having a breathing tube down his throat.  

The waiting room of the the center probably had close to 100 people. 

They were either patients or waiting on patients. 

I came prepared with my blog binder to plan, calendar to write in dates I had for August, cell phone for entertainment, and the book I'm reading.  The binder got some attention, the calendar none, the book a little. 

 I just found that my ADD is at an increased intensity when I'm in a waiting-room!

Oh and I forgot to bring a jacket.

Do you really know how frigid hospitals are?  

I have worked in three hospitals and I know that they are ice lockers.  I am not sure what exactly caused me to go insane and think this would be a warm hospital day!  The worst part?  I had grabbed my jacket to take and left it in a bar stool in my kitchen.  Three hours into the event I alerted the staff I had to step out to reheat.

While I was enjoying my August Southern Living propped up against my trunk and watching the AirCare chopper take off {yet again} my phone rang.  My husband was awake and I needed to come on back.

Even though this surgery was routine for the urologist and nothing major; I was so happy to see my main squeeze in one piece {and crazy eyed} when I walked back.  Everything went well and he was good to go.

I had two babies.  I know pain.


It is so interesting how his two procedures made me remember pushing our babies into the world.  

He's wearing a pair of awesome hospital issued mesh panties ladies!  

He's swollen and hurting.  

All I could think the whole way home was, "Oh my God I've been there twice!"  

Gingerly is the best adjective to describe the drive home.  I made a point to miss any spot on the asphalt/cement that looked like it would jar or bounce him.  

See, I'm a good wife.

Glued to the couch.


The patient has taken residence on the couch.  Since our bedroom is on the second story of our house and he cannot do steps he's stuck in the living room.  


Luckily, the kids are with my mom for a while.  I know if they were home stitches and swelling would turn to major explosion!

I'm playing the role of nurse, maid, and wife.  Luckily, he's been an excellent patient to deal with.

And he's not passed out!



2 comments:

  1. Glad it went well! How long does recovery take for that kind of thing? (I'm sure it's a lot less time than a hysterectomy...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For jut a vas only 3-4 days. For his initial procedure 4-6 weeks.

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!