Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Primitive Planning

Today I am on a mission!  It is of primitive proportions. 

I'm working on planning a weekend of "roughing it" - getting back to nature - living like a caveman.  Ok lets just scratch that caveman part. 

When my little girl and I made our Summer Fun To Do List she said she wanted to camp

In 2013 the word "camp" takes on so many meanings.  It could mean:

You all pile in an RV, fully equipped with a microwave, couch, and cable television with running water, and a/c and park it in the woods - that also just so happens to have a nicely placed hook up for electricity and water next to it.   







Or it could mean you don't have the money (or you are too cheap) for the hotel so you stay at the motel that may be lacking a modern swimming pool, elevator, and toiletries in the bathroom. 

Finally, we go back to the idea of a camper and camping as spending time in a camper that you haul down the road as a compact little square and when you hook it up to water you also use the hand crank to pop out the sides....Been there done that never going back folks.

We don't have an RV or Fifth Wheel or even a Pop Up.  Needless to say most of our stays are in motels (remember I am Queen of the Tightwads)!  When we made out our Summer Fun To Do List my little girl said she wanted to camp..... out in a tent.  I told you my mission was of primitive proportions!

I have never camped in a tent.  Seriously - never.  I may have fallen asleep outside when I was a college kid due to stupidity in excess but never did I set out to camp in a tent.  The idea of sleeping on the ground where animals could very well surprise me by joining in on a cuddle didn't appeal to me - ever.  You know bears can manipulate a zipper people!  Now I have offspring that wants to spend a night in a tent.  ???




Ok so just set it up in the backyard - right?

Wrong!

We're making a little adventure out of this!

Being a stay at home mom has made the idea of primitive camping more of an "ok lets do this" - some days I don't get to shower and the idea of sleeping with baby puke on my shirt along with some poop from trying to hog tie the kid to get a diaper on is no longer a big deal.  I am finding out that after a busy day of baby wrangling and repeating myself thirty-seven times for my five year old - sleeping in a tent with some mud on me from the river is not a big deal.  It has seriously equipped me for some time sleeping on the ground with bugs, bears, and black snakes a bit more do able.

I'm on a mission to find a good location to camp in the NC mountains.  It will afford us the chance to do some things I like to do (canoe/tube) and our little girl will get to tent camp in a fun location.  My husband is all for it too.  

So far I have found these resources to share with any of you who are up for the challenge as well:

Great Outdoor Recreation Pages: NC & SC Camping

Best Campgrounds in NC by Trails.com

-------------

xx
Brownie



No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!