Wednesday, June 12, 2013

A couple quickies & Father's Day Thoughts

Here's what I fixed for dinner last night.  I liked it....the kid and hubby didn't care for it.  Its a cheap, quick meal that we had with chopped cucumber and ranch.

Turkey & Balsamic Onion Quesadillas

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some quickie housekeeping tips I use regularly to keep myself ahead of the game. (30 minutes total)

1.  Laundry - I used to have a mountain range in my laundry room called The Dirties and then the erosion of that range led to the beginning of the formation of the AhhhpaleeseIdon'twannafoldthese.

So now I do this:  Every day I do one load of laundry.  That translates to I wash one load, dry and fold.  That way I'm not swimming in an ocean of detergent and lint traps.  In all it takes me two minutes to throw a load in the washer and about five minutes to fold it up a couple hours later.


2.  Make beds - my daughter makes her bed and I make ours - it is the quickest way to make the room look neater.  It takes maybe two minutes to make up a bed.  After we make our beds we check for any dirty laundry and that is where this ties into number one.


3.  I vacuum the floors.  I have hardwoods and laminate so that means the vacuum cleaner is my buddy.  Every day I take five minutes and vacuum the kitchen, living, bathroom, and hall way (most heavily trafficked areas).

4.  I wipe out the sink and counter tops (right before I vacuum so it can suck up the crumbs).  Nothing makes your kitchen smell and look better than clutter free counter tops (never mind my stay clutter free for about ten minutes and then its back to the clutter zone.)

Now with all that being said, if you live in my area and are looking for a housecleaner I have a friend who has a few openings for new clients.  Send me an email!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Father's Day is coming up.  I had decided after my sucky Mother's Day I wouldn't do anything for Father's Day then I realized I cannot just do nothing.  My husband does a lot for us - a whole lot - I cannot let Sunday pass by with no mention of "his day".  Today we are working on a Father's Day surprise for my husband (who reads my blog....so act surprised).  With that said I will not say much more.  You will see it next week.

I do wonder why everything Father's Day has to do with ties.  My grandpa wasn't a tie man, neither of them were...my great grandfathers weren't tie men either.  My dad was not a tie man (more like a tie one on type but that's a whole other writing journey there).  My husband is not a tie man at all (we cannot even tie a tie...) 

I come from a family of blue collar boys.  They were farmers, store owners, horticulturists, saw millers, carpenters, graders and excavators.  Ties were set aside for funerals and even then they didn't like wearing them. 

Mother's Day has the flower - you get your mom a bouquet or a plant because all moms must adore some roses.  Ok, no not every woman likes flowers like I do.  But at least it stretches a tad bit further than a neck decoration.

Most men seem to despise the tie (just the way the men in my family do/did).  They call them neuses and cannot wait to loosen them or take them off entirely.  Is that the best object we have to describe fatherhood?   A silk rope that you tie around your neck that you cannot wait to take off at the first chance you get?  Epic fail I'd say.

I also see other things that are to be relatable to dads.  Like grills, chef hats, and oven mitts.  I get those items since my hubby loves to grill.  However, my husband does not wear a chef hat when he grills....that doesn't mean I think he wouldn't. 

Like ties not all men grill.  I have a friend that told me her husband has only grilled a couple times since they have been married and I would guess they have been married over 9 years.  We have other friends who don't grill much because they "don't know how"....so would a tie be more fitting?  As I sit here and contemplate the guys and the tie.....no.  Not at all. 

The last thing I see very popular for the fashion of Father's Day is something that may stretch a bit farther than the tie and grill ever could.  The one thing you can pick up nearly anywhere for that perfect last minute gift.  It brings a smile to the face and a chuckle under the breath. It won't last forever so don't think you are spending a lot of money. 

Yes....the convenience store genius......beer. 

There was a Hallmark card I saw out the other day that was in the shape of a mug of beer and you pulled up the center to reveal the message - "Didn't want to wish you a happy Father's Day until you had a beer in your hand" (or something like that)....

I guess that speaks loads about our society.

I gave my dad a six pack one or two times in college.  It was fitting for a college kid to give their dad something they both enjoyed and the cost was right on budget and the convenience of grabbing it in a store you went to daily was incredible. 

I see adults do that too - give their dad a case of beer or a bottle of Crown or Maker's Mark.  The liquor, in some circles, is classier than the beer I guess. 

The only time it bothers me - alcohol as a gift - is when you see a little kid give it.  You know, a kid who cannot buy it legally let alone carry it.  There's a fine line between funny and trashy

So if you decide against the tie, the new grill, the Kiss The Cook apron and hat, and the Number One Dad grill mitt and opt for the case of Old Milwaukee (do they still make that?), Sammy Adams, Flat Tire, or Yuengling make sure you give it and your child gives him the coolest gift possible ---- something made by their little hands or straight from their big hearts. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has been from the desk of one Brownie thanks for sharing!


Brownie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!