Monday, June 10, 2013

A quick tip, trip, and recipe!

6.10.13

When I would sweat in my 20s it wasn't really stinky.  I'm finding that now when I sweat I smell so incredibly disgusting that I cannot stand myself and must immediately find a bar of soap and tepid water.

My twenties were not a time of "optimal health" - I ate fast food, boxed food, processed food, old food, new food, free food, bad food.  I took advantage of those dirty habits that are detrimental to our health because I was 21 and untouchable.  I drank like a fish and sleep was extremely limited.  Yet when I would sweat it never smelled as putrid as it does now.

Lately, I have been trying new deodorants to find one that works great for me.  I understand that its not necessarily keeping you 100% dry but keeping your odor down.  The big brands failed me as did the "clinical strength" labeling.

Then it happened.  I did what all smart shoppers should do - I looked at the bottom shelf.  A familiar name from puberty - Lady Speed Stick.  It hasn't changed much in 20 years - same label pretty much, same colors, and same price 97 cents.

Isn't it amazing how something so inexpensive and relatively unchanging did the trick.  Thanks to the bottom shelf I smell pretty good and I'm dry.  I may rub it on my head next.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember that Summer Fun To Do List we created a couple weeks ago?  Well we marked off one adventure this weekend.  We all headed to Piedmont Triad Farmer's Market in Colfax.  This was a place of fun employment for me in college.  I sold for a professor who farmed on the side.  I enjoyed my tomatoes and flowers and helping out one of the largest peach farms in the state grade and sale their produce.  I also enjoyed the payment of peaches - I could exist off those stone fruits from the gods. 

This trip was a quick idea.  We enjoyed our two hours of walking around and in our minds making landscape changes to the house and toying with new recipes. 

We will go back in a few weeks and stock up on fresh produce.  I cannot tell you how important it is to know exactly where your food is coming from before you put it in your pie hole.  The closer it is raised or grown to you the better it is in taste and health benefits. 

Find your local large or small farmer's market and if you need eggs let me know!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love summer weekends....they always end up back by the pool :-)



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We had a yummy dinner on Friday:

I threw some ingredients together and viola!

Amanda's Quick Tex Mex Chicken Black Bean and Corn Conquest 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 


1 can or 3 ears of yellow corn - if canned drain and rinse.
1 can of black beans - drain and rinse
2 tomatoes cleaned out and chopped
1 - 2 limes
Chili Powder
Paprika
Garlic Powder
Black Pepper
Salt
2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes

Step one:  Juice your lime in a bowl. add in one tablespoon of chili powder, 1/2 tbsp. paprika, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, as much black pepper as you prefer.  Add your chicken and stir or shake if you have a top.  Let the chicken marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes.

Step two:  Cook your chicken on the stove top - I used a tablespoon of olive oil to coat my pan.

Step three:  Once the chicken is cooked, add in your vegetables and a bit of salt.  Cover and let cook about 8 minutes over medium low heat.

Step four:  Serve with Sargento Mexican Blend cheese - ok totally optional but way worth it!

DELICIOUS!  Quick and cheap!















------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy Monday to ya -



Brownie

Share!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!