Tuesday, June 25, 2013

BBQ Smellin' Skin & More!

I haven't had many issues with my skin since I turned 16.  I get an occasional, hormone induced pimple but other than that I am pretty lucky to have clear skin.

Up until last week....

My husband pointed out my new face freaks - a family of pimples popping up around the side of my mouth and under my cheek.  (Why do you have zits?) 

Then I noticed I had four, itchy, red mosquito bites on the under side of my jaw.

I know I am thirty-one years old but I seriously do not feel any older than about twenty-five so I was just thinking my skin felt the same and wanted to be youthful and adolescent for a bit!  However, like adolescents it quickly became annoying.

A trip to the store was in order - Cetaphil wasn't working for cleaning my summer skin.  I wanted some tea tree oil based cleanser that St. Ives used to make - but of course I could not find it anywhere.  So I left the store empty handed.  I couldn't bring myself to pay $6 for the coveted Oxy Pads that I remember oh so well from the tender age of thirteen.

When I returned home I did an inventory of my face.... we'll call it Facial Issues At Hand:

Pimples along the right side of my face - check
Mosquito bites along jaw line - check
Shine - check

Then it hit me: the cure to this summer skin issue(s) was in my kitchen cabinet!  It was right in my home and did not require a trip to any store!  The solution was white vinegar!  (Disclaimer:  you know you're own skin if you have uber sensitive skin then you decide if this would work - and always try it on a small area before you do the whole shebang.)

1 tablespoon of white vinegar
2 tablespoons of water
Cotton ball - wipe, wipe wipe

It basically was my astringent.  I covered my face in it and let it sit for ten minutes then went back over it with a tad bit of Cetaphil and some water (to moisturize lightly).  The end result:

Mosquito bites gone - check!
Pimples hasta la vista baby - check!
Shine subdued - check!

And my husband said if I want him to ever leave me alone - just wipe that stuff on my face again in his words:  I smelled like barbecue gone wrong.

Another awesome facial from the kitchen include making a baking soda paste with water and using it as a mask.  Its gentle enough for all skin types and leaves your skin super fresh and clean.

Got eggs?  Make an egg facial to help tighten and refresh your skin and add in the aid to eliminate acne!  Crack the egg, whisk it up, and paint it on.  Let it sit for about ten minutes before washing off. 

If you are being attacked by the B-52 Mosquitos add some Super B Complex to your day (if it is ok for you to take it, check with your doc) and you'll notice the bites decrease.  B vitamins make our skin give off an odor (humans cannot smell it but bugs can) that keeps the biters away.  It's like a human citronella!

--------------------

xx
Brownie

3 comments:

  1. So I get spray tanned. it's my new indulgence to protect my fair Irish skin from potential skin cancer. Anyway, I was told that before every session to exfoliate using a baking soda paste. I do this from head to toe. It works famously and leaves everything feeling clean and fresh and I haven't had the slightest problem. It's a super cheap way to exfoliate without scrubs or abrasive cloths. Kudos on the tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to go on protecting your skin! I feel ya - Scots Irish lineage here allows for some pasty whiteness and ultra burn if not careful. I would love to spray tan but just do bottle tan! Thank you for reading and sharing!!!

      Delete
  2. I totally just read my reply and laughed. I could be the spokesperson for Arm & Hammer. Such a nerd! Glad to see you and the family are doing so well! Take care!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!