Monday, June 24, 2013

Just Peachy!

I know Georgia claims itself as the peach capital but South Carolina is really giving GA a run for the title!  I have had some amazingly delicious SC peaches so far this summer.

Our neighbors are a small produce and garden stand.  I buy my produce there because it beats supermarket pricing.  They have obviously caught on to the fact that in the summer I live off of two things:  tomatoes (called maters like on Disney's Cars) and peaches.  I need nothing more (than some rum) and I'm set for summer.  Knowing that my existence depends on the pitted fruit they tend to give me free peaches with my order - it is critical folks, I need them to survive <wink>. 

In college I worked at one of the Farmer's Markets that the NCDA operates.  I adored that job!  I sold tomatoes (regular garden variety and specialty) and flowers.  I also assisted with one of NC's largest peach growers booths (ever heard of Johnson's Peaches?).  My payment for helping with the peaches?  Free pecks every day and when I got a grumble in my tummy I was always given more peaches!  I could not complain and totally expect to come back in my next life as either a peach tree or a peach farmer.

Now days I pay for most of my peaches and now I have two babies who adore peaches just as much as I do! We eat them daily.

I prefer to wipe my peach off and eat it, skin and all (good nutrients in the skin).  For the little ones I do peel it - choking hazard for the baby and the girl doesn't like the fuzz.

Other things I love to do with peaches include:

Peach Cobbler
Adult Peach Smoothies (questionable on the wellness content)
Grilled peaches

Recipes anyone?

Peach Cobbler *using my late Mammaw Nancie's recipe

3/4 stick of butter
1 c self rising flour  
3/4 c sugar
3/4 c milk
1 to 1 1/2 cups of fruit (always use more....just sayin')
 
Melt butter in a eight or nine inch baking dish while you preheat your oven to 350 degrees - after melted set to the side.
 
Combine your flour, sugar and half of your milk - stir until the dry is moistened.
 
Add remaining milk and stir til smooth.
 
Pour batter over your melted butter.
 
Put the fruit on top.
 
Bake 30-40 minutes (depending on oven).  Look for a light brown on the pastry and the center to spring back when you touch it.
 
Mmmm mmmm good eatin'!

Adult Peach Smoothies
 
4-5 Very ripe peaches
1 Bacardi Mix (daiquiri or fuzzy navel)
8oz rum
1 cup of ice
 
Put it all in the blender, blend on high until its "smoothie" texture.  (Alcoholic beverages should be made to your liking, you may want less rum....just play with it.)
Picture of Grilled Peaches with Cinnamon Sugar Butter Recipe
This is a picture of Bobby Flay's grilled peaches:  visit here for his recipe!

Grilled Peaches
 
Use firmer peaches - not overly ripe or they will fall apart.
 
Slice your peaches and discard the pits.
You do not have to remove the skin - only if you want to.
 
In a bowl combine  1 tbsp. of vanilla flavoring with 1 tsp of cinnamon with 1 tbsp. of dark brown sugar (or light brown it doesn't matter).  Whisk it all together.  Throw your peach slices in and shake or stir around to coat.
 
Medium High Heat on the grill - give it about ten minutes to get there.
 
Grill 4 minutes - 2 minutes per side.
 
Delish!

Happy eating!

----------------

xx
Brownie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!