Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Re-Model-Ing

May 1st, 2013

May is typically a home improvement month for me.  Each year I do something new to my home during this very month.  Last year I was painting a nursery and a new bedroom for my husband and I.  We had electrical work done including installing new lighting and plugs. 

Last May, we also brought this circa-1930's-home a new feature that most in America cannot seem to live without - central heating and air.

I grew up cooling off by a window a.c. unit in the balmy southern summers that typically begin in mid May and end in late October.  My body evolved to accept a small, loud, window contraption's forcing of cold air through a house for 17 years. 
I can tolerate heat extremely well thanks to that machine's distant nurturing to the sweating child's forhead, armpits, and legs. 

When I went off to college I had a window unit in my first apartment.  It didn't matter much then to me - I spent more time away from my square of a bedroom, kitchen and bathroom than actually in it.  My then boyfriend had a great little townhouse with plenty of icey cold air for when we were there. When I moved to my next apartment I was spoiled for several reasons.  1.  It was a new construction.  That meant the carpet was new.  The walls were fresh.  The central heating and air was well existant!  I must say it was very spoiling. 

After getting married it was back to a window ac unit - but it wasn't a shock to my system.  I dealt with it through a pregnancy, new baby, being heavy, being thin.  I am conditioned to tolerate humidity and heat due to my habitat and I am also conditioned to not being inside much.  I guess you call that lucky.

One May I decided to texturize my livingroom walls and paint them.  The walls in our house are plaster.  Remember this is a 1930's-construction-piece-of-art people.  Sheet rock what?  Needless to say plaster doesn't age quite as well as sheet rock and there were lots of blemishes and imperfections on the walls thanks to that witch called aging and multitudes of tennants throughout the years. 

The inspiration for texturizing came from a local winery.  They texturized with a cement style mixture.  My mom and I got creative for a couple days and got it all done.  Four years later I can say I still like it.  Yes, I like it as we start to move towards the dawn of prepping to hang sheet rock.  Oh my.

Every May (and every day) I focus outdoors.  A few years back we installed new picket fencing.  Treated wood picket fencing- and painted it white.  I will never ever do that again.  It just isn't worth it.  Next time - if ever again there is a next time - we will purchase plastic.  My fence today is faded out, stained and not bright and beautiful.  I have a feeling it will be coming down eventually....maybe next May.

This May will prove to be no different from years past.  You all know we are entering the throws of remodeling this old house - which poses the question: where is Bob Vila to do the free work when you need him?

Today, May 1st. 2013 the kitchen designer will be coming out to see the room as it is and try to get a vision of how it will be.  The estimates are piling up on the kitchen table.  The stress is starting to hit.  I ask and get no answers from people that I need to help me right now to get our part complete.  My husband, meaning no harm, only talks about the beast that is the remodel.  I have spent countless hours staring down paint, cabinets, flooring, decks, basements, layouts.  I am beginning to see that it is indeed more fun to do for others than for yourself.

I go to workout each day to let some of the stress go.  I would rather bite off the machine's computer head than my husband's or child's or a total stranger's.  I take a good eastern infused class to get re- centered and this morning I found myself not seeing my center or feeling it and instead making lists and getting irritated. 

Head down - lifeless
Breathe in - deep
Breathe out - slow
Repeat

May 2013 - you will be my month of tension - I see it now.  I just hope that you are my month of complete remodel - not just on the house but also on me.

------------------------------------------------------

Find the piece that brings you peace -

Brownie

Share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!