Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Mommy Pains

1.8.13

What would I say if you brought down the rain?

Some of you know that line from a song.  Some of you don't.  This morning I was sitting at the preschool awaiting the doors to open so C could run in and get to work playing.  I was checking my Facebook feed.  A friend had been posting updates on a friend of hers who had had a baby.  Being a mom to a relatively brand new edition of baby boy I of course had been clicking away to look at his pictures and ooohhh and ahhh.  However, that first post she put up was a red flag.  The baby had some problems.  The birth weight they posted gave that away.  In this day and age low birth weight is battled with huge advancements in neonatal care.  Each post shared a little of the grey.  This morning I saw where she had posted the child had Trisomy 18.  My heart stopped, I held my breath.  Here's why....

I went to UNC-Greensboro for Public Health Education and Nutrition.  One class I took was a focus in genetic disorders.  It was a class designed to help us decide what area our Master's degree should be in.  In case you didn't know a PHE degree is worthless unless a) you have an in through people you know or your family knows  and b) you get a master's degree.  UNC-G offered a Master's Program in Genetic Counseling.

Trisomy 18 is a genetic disorder where the 18th chromosome is duplicated, so instead of having one from mom and one from dad you have one from mom, one from dad and then another one.  It can be (and nearly every time) fatal.  For some reason girls with this disorder have a higher chance at survival than boys.  Unfortunately, infants born with this condition generally pass away in the first week to two weeks of life.  Less than 10% of babies born with this condition will see their first birthday.  (Side note:  Rick Santorum's daughter has Trisomy 18.  She is 3 years old and I believe was the reason he stepped back from continuing to run.)

When I wrote my paper my junior year on this disorder I watched a documentary from the UNC-G library on a family who documented their experience.  Then I watched it with a science eye.  I had not became a mom at that point.  It was interesting.  It was also scarring.

I was able to get through the documentary at 22 years old.  Today at 31 I don't think I could watch it again.  As a matter of fact I know I couldn't. A few months ago another family had put their experience out and someone sent it to me in an email.  I immediately closed it. 

My heart breaks to know that I was blessed to have two healthy munchkins grow in my womb and not every woman is blessed to have healthy babies no matter how perfect of an environment they create for their little beans.  My heart breaks in knowing I was blessed with some good DNA to create a life and ditto that for my spouse.....not every family gets that set of cards when they were dealt their hand.

I do believe every single thing in this life is part of a bigger plan and is known before we are who we are.  I cannot wrap my mind around why I believe it or why it comforts me but it does.  That's the faith I have.  That's not a religion or a theology.  That's a faith.

Today as I hold my little tiger man and change his diapers and fix his bottles it is with a heightened sense of knowing he is a blessing and a gift on my life.  Today as I fix my little girl's lunch, tell her the same sentence five times because she isn't paying me any attention I will remember its an honor to have a child I need to do that for.  Today when I take my dog out for his walk and do my daily chit chat with God/the Universe I will cry (again) and ask his mercy on that mama and his peace within that baby.  I will cry for the mommies who lose their babies too soon whether it be just days of age or many years.  I will beg for mercy on the little life/lives but I will not be sad for them....they are going to a much better place the One who takes them back is jealous of them and will hold them close when they arrive back to His place. (And my Mammaw will rock them to sleep.  While my Dad-o takes them on tractor rides.)

In closing I ask that you take a moment and realize the things that may have you upset and angry today are worth re-examining to see if they warrant all the drama you create from it.  I bet its just a drop in the bucket of ridiculous when compared to what you could be facing.  What would I say if you brought down the rain?  Help me.  That's what I would say.

**********************************

4 Alarm Buffalo Chicken (as requested by several readers)

Half a bottle of ranch dressing
One whole bottle of buffalo wing sauce (I used hot, thus 4 Alarm)
Chicken Breast (boneless, skinless, up to 3 cuts)
Crock Pot

Place your chicken in the pot
Pour your dressing over the chicken
Pour your buffalo wing sauce over the ranch chicken
Cook on high fo 2 hours
After 2 hours use two forks to shred in the crock pot
Stir and cook 45 minutes more (so you get that good juice in the bird)

Serve as wraps or on burger buns!

Served with border blend corn (some call it Mexicorn), celery sticks, or maybe just chips if you're feeling extra unhealthy lol.

Good football food.

***********************************

On another note: Kelly Kia tripped 100K today.  She has been a family member for 4.7 years.  She will be C's first car....keep on keeping on Kelly Kia.

**********************************

Til we meet again -



Brownie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!